Clearances Flow Chart
- The type and number of clearances required depend on the technology option and capacity of the project. Clearance is used in this context as a collective term referring to permits, licences, approvals, agreements and payments.
- All project developers will have to operate through a registered company (local or abroad) and have access to land (through purchase or lease).
- Registration of companies www.attorney-general.go.ke and land acquisition procedures www.lands.go.ke are not featured on this RE portal. These requirements apply to all grid-connected projects and commercial off-grid projects.
- The water abstraction permit, Kenya Civil Aviation clearance, geothermal resource licence (concession) and the geothermal exploration licence applies only to hydro, wind and geothermal projects respectively.
- Project with capacities covered within the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) policy will have the power purchase agreement (PPA) negotiated under the policy while those outside the will be negotiated under a capacity based power purchase agreement (PPA).
- Off-grid commercial project are not required to negotiate a PPA with the government utility.